Tuesday, January 31

Currently not enjoying...


As usual the traffic. Calm and composed I should be, but most of the time I drive around yelling at other drivers, (with the windows shut I hastened to add) and honking my horn.

Waking up in the night to gun shots and car crashes. There have been quite a few car crashes outside our house recently, often in the night and sometimes combined with gunshots. The new bollards outside the house have been destroyed for the second time since they were put in a few weeks ago. At least they stop people crashing through our wall!!

The potential of a rat invasion. There are rats on the compound, big ones with bodies around 15cm long, or maybe rats are just that big. Our neighbour had them in her kitchen running around and eating things. So far we have escaped that and I have only seen one in the garden that the dog killed. We were warned that there can be rats in the house so I will be on the look out!!

The security situation which remains. Most people generally avoid crowded areas, and the big shopping centres. However Bethany managed to lose her gum shield this week, so I had no choice but to go to one of the so called banned shopping centres to get one. "If you don't mummy, I won't be allowed to play hockey and will have to spend the lesson running round the field"! Yes sure Bethany I am happy to risk a potential terrorist attack to buy you a gum shield".

Currently enjoying...

The weather which is fantastic. Sunny, 27-29 degrees C everyday.


Currently watching...

Downton Abbey.

Strangely feel like I understand a lot more about life in this period having someone who works in my house for me. I also find myself looking at the type of candlesticks they use as we are often use candles when the power is out. Wine bottles seem to work the best.

Currently reading... Well I have just finished the White Masai, very interesting, particularly to anyone who has ever live in Africa. It's quite old now, but about a Swiss girl who marries a Masai and lives with him and his family in Kenya.

Currently working on projects...

Planning Caleb's Star Wars party. Just the challenge I love, especially when there are no star wars party things to be had in Kenya. Still, having been made to watch all the Star Wars films 1-6, (actually I think I managed to escape 5)I have a much better idea of what I am supposed to be doing. All I can say is thank goodness for the Internet. Whatever did people do without it.

Currently wishing for...

Star Wars party stuff, that my cooker will be fixed today so I can cook dinner and on a more serious note, peace in Kenya.

5 Comments:

At 4:24 pm, Blogger Benjol said...

Nothing interesting to say, except to encourage you that I do actually read this blog! So you've got a guaranteed audience of at least 1.

 
At 6:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make that 2 xx

 
At 5:01 pm, Anonymous els said...

to encouage you am also READING THE BLOGS EVEN IF i DO NOT ALWAYS LEAVE a message - very much want to keep in touch and am very pleased that you have had visitos over christmas and new year. Currently we are snowed in here in Sth oxhey although I am sure iot will onyl be for the day. It has been gloriously white and first thing this morning it look clean and beautiful - the place has not been gritted so everything now rather slussy already but it was lovely for a while........god bless you all..............els

 
At 6:10 pm, Anonymous Susan said...

Hi Viv,Just to let you know that I read your blog regularly, as well as those of your boys...lovely to keep in touch!

 
At 6:20 pm, Anonymous Susan said...

OOps I think I goofed .I left a comment for your Mother, Daniel,Forgetting which Blog I was reading! I am a friend of hers from way back,I have lived in Canada for many years.It is so wonderful to read about your life and experiences in Africa.Thanks for the privilege!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home