Sunday, February 27

Blogs and such like

Thank you to Libby for hosting the blog yesterday. I am refuelled, and ready to blog.

I'd first like to direct you to an impressive piece of clever artwork, courtesy of my brother. I am truly (fairly) impressed. You can't even see the cracks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I'm sure for many of you, this is your first brush with blogdom, I hear much "Wot ees thees blog of wich yoo speek". I will elucidate, in the words of blogger.com:

What is a blog?

A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

Your blog is whatever you want it to be. There are millions of them, in all shapes and sizes, and there are no real rules.

In simple terms, a blog is a web site, where you write stuff on an ongoing basis. New stuff shows up at the top, so your visitors can read what's new. Then they comment on it or link to it or email you. Or not.

Since Blogger was launched, almost five years ago, blogs have reshaped the web, impacted politics, shaken up journalism, and enabled millions of people to have a voice and connect with others.

And we are pretty sure the whole deal is just getting started.

For those of you are fairly confident around computers, there is a link further down on the right to get you started.

For those of you who still have a sneaking suspicion that pressing the wrong combination of keys will inadvertently prematurely precipitate Mr Bush's adventures in Iran (or some other hapless country in the axis of evil) you may wish to get someone else to help.

[For those of you who are Gary Sims, well I guess you already know how to suck eggs]

Please don't all rush to get blogs at once, however, because otherwise, as Libby points out, we'll all spend all our time doing nothing but reading each other's blogs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As this is my own 'personal soapbox', here are a few things that really get up my nose:
  • Perfectly good brand new toys/books given to my children being reduced to useless tat within a matter of seconds
  • Margarine tubs being only 87.5% full
  • Walker's crisps: what was wrong with the colours the way they were - at least it made sense, and you knew which were salt and vinegar, and which were cheese and onion - now what? [and while we're at it, all those other well-loved, well-established brands which change their name for no conceivable reason- I mean what's wrong with 'The Post Office'/'Royal Mail' - its just plain bad marketing to throw all that history away]
  • People leaving the milk out
  • Joshua, instead of using a tissue to wipe his nose, preferring to wipe it on any available piece of furniture, or the carpet [I guess at least he's being good in not wiping it on his sleeve, but I mean, the dining room table...]
  • I hate to mention it, but people leaving more than two strips of toilet roll hanging down. And also, the toilet roll being hung the wrong way round (that is, hanging down the inside, rather than the outside). And while we're at it, people squeezing the toothpaste tube from the middle rather than (correctly) from right at the thin end..
[I think I'd better stop digging now, as its all beginning to sound a bit 'anal', as Libby would say]
  • But while we're about it, the mangling of the English language using words like 'anal' in such out of context ways; and even worse the use of 'non-words' like "mingin'" (if you don't know, don't ask). I just hate that word!!!
If I sound rather bad tempered, its because although you are only reading this post once, I've had to write it three times. The first time the website lost it all because I had logged out to obtain the above quote; and the second time Bethany switched the computer off on the wall half way through!

You're lucky there's anything to read at all. How I suffer for my art...

[I'm actually really nice to live with, honest. You can ask Libby. Actually, maybe you'd better not, just in case...]

Arrrgh. I also hate Bethany filling up the floppy drive with loose change. Where are my tweezers again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home