Saturday, January 26

Caleb: Life in the Now


How have things been for you since your return to Africa?

Well I have been pretty busy with school. Academics aside, it is a full time job being friends with everyone! Then there are all those parties to go to. My mum sighs, buys another gift and gets out the map of Nairobi to drive me to yet another sleepover party. She likes to check it is actually a child I know well before she goes to a lot of expense and effort - so picky. Her main complaint is that gifts here are either 4 times the price or tacky rubbish, so it is hard to find something worth while. My main concern is 'Does this friend have a pool?' You always need to choose your friends wisely. But I'm rambling. Shall we move on.

How do you keep fit?

Fitness is not really something I have to work at, it seems to be something that comes quite naturally to me. We do sport 4 days a week at school and I do another 3 lots of swimming on top of that. Going on the trampoline is also a good way to get rid of energy or so my mum says. Why would you keep still when you can be leaping around and back flipping on the sofa? I am particularly enjoying hockey at school, although mum refused to spend £50 on a dentally fitted mouth guard as suggested by school. She said I might lose it - as if! Instead she spent £1.50 on a generic one - boring!!

What diet advice do you have?

Meat is really the only way forward. Add to that a bit of cheese, a few strawberries and a cucumber and you have yourselves a balanced diet. Why people bother with other things is beyond me. I mean there is so much meat out there. Mum is always trying to slip a few vegetarian numbers by me as she says meat is too expensive. Like I won't notice!

What's your style?

I have a strong sense of what I think is cool and what is not. I like long sleeve tops and long trousers whatever the temperature. I always have holes in my trousers, in fact I don't think I have a pair that is hole free. Fortunately for mum it is easy to get things fixed here, so every week my trousers go back to the tailor to be fixed again. My preference is really to wear no shoes, but fussy mum makes me wear them as she says my bare feet are tramping mud into the house. I am on my 3rd pair of Crocs since July as the dog ate the others. Price of Crocs here? Around £40. Do you think my mum paid that? As if! She got a second hand pair from the neighbour.

Are you in a relationship?

I'm single right now. Keeping up with all my friends is pretty full on and my social secretary/driver is pretty busy. Relationships are complicated - I like to keep things simple right now. In truth I was thinking of living with my mum forever. She says I'll change my mind, but it is looking like a pretty good option right now.

Who are your role models?

I was thinking of a few wrestling guys who I see as role models. I have managed to sneak a peek at a friends house, but mum won't let me watch wrestling as she said it is a bad influence on me and I might practice on my sister. What else are sisters for?

What are your plans for 2013?

Spending as much time as I can on screens of any kind: iPad, computer, TV, Wii, Playstation, DS - I'm not fussy. Unfortunately my parents have differing views. My dad keeps making 'screen time rotas' to limit our screen time - boring! Fortunately if I'm quiet I can get away with way more than I'm supposed to. Also using the computer for 'educational purposes' is a good angle that usually works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home